header image

My First 10K

So, for as long as I could remember, I have wanted to be a runner. I have always admired the strength and discipline of runners, but never thought it was something I could dedicate myself to doing.

Until now.

A dear friend of mine is a runner and has participated in countless half marathons in the past years and has encouraged me to give running a chance. I recently decided to join a running group to start training for upcoming runs and I love it so far. Two Thursdays ago was my first day with the group and I am just blown away by their positivity and encouragement. It’s not a competition when you get out there with them, it’s a loving circle of people who have a wealth of knowledge and tips for preparing mentally and physically for a run.

After my first run with the group, I decided to register for the 2012 Cancer Awareness Run and Ride on September 15th at Modesto Junior College. I am so excited to finally have something to train for, as I think one of the reasons I never stuck with running in the past is that I never signed up for any races and lost motivation.

I can already tell that running is going to be very beneficial for me because it is just as much mental as it is physical. I need to learn to listen to my body more and not give up just because my mind tells me it’s in pain. Now, that’s not to say if I am in pain I shouldn’t listen to my body, but a lot of times, my mind will give up way before my body does and will convince my body to stop. I think running will align my body and mind more than ever, which can only spill over to weight training and even school work.

I have been reading about meditation while running, since let’s face it, when I meditate at home, I end up taking a nap instead ;)

I am planning to run the full marathon in March for Modesto’s Marathon. I know I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I am excited that I have enough drive to achieve my goals.

Thanks for reading :)

~ by Alexia on August 6, 2012 .

3 Responses to “My First 10K”

1.   Sara Says:

Good luck on your 10k I’m sure you’ll do great! :)

2.   Alexia Says:

Thanks, Sara! I hope the weather cools down or it’s going to be difficult to train outside!

3.   frankalanis Says:

Good luck, but running out here in the Central Valley is so hot!