Okay, I was inspired by fellow blogger, Sara’s post about the 90s that I thought I would make my own rad (80s lingo) post about how much I love the 80s. Now, I’m going to make it easy for everyone reading and tell you that I’m 25, which means I was born in 1987. Even though I was only 3 by the time the 80s exited my life, I happen to be quite the fan of the decade, thanks to my awesome mother.
My mom was a teenager in the 80s and I’ve always been jealous of that fact. She got to see St. Elmo’s Fire, Pretty in Pink, and many more awesome (80s lingo strikes again!) movies in theaters. Not to mention, she got to dance to some of the classic pop songs at parties and school dances! I’m jealous. I have a feeling her parties looked something like Katy Perry’s “Last Friday Night” video (at least I hope they did).
I decided it would be fun to make a top 20 list of my favorite 80s songs and movies for your viewing pleasure.
- Sixteen Candles (1984)
- The Breakfast Club (1985)
- St. Elmo’s Fire (1985) (Amazing movie with Rob Lowe, Demi Moore, Andrew McCarthy, Judd Nelson, Emilio Estevez, and Ally Sheedy. It’s the Breakfast Club for grown-ups)
- Just One of the Guys (1985) (Such a funny movie about a ultra pretty “girly-girl” who goes undercover at a different high school as a boy and falls in love with her best friend)
- Pretty in Pink (1986) (I watch this movie every year on my birthday, it’s my favorite 80s movie ever, plus Andrew McCarthy is SO dreamy)
- Less than Zero (1987) (this movie is terribly depressing, but I’m strangely drawn to it. It’s one of the best Bret Easton Ellis adaptations in my opinion)
- Dirty Dancing (1987) (Patrick Swayze is SO dreamy. I can’t help but watch this movie every time it comes on tv. I love the end dance number!)
- The Lost Boys (1987)
- Mystic Pizza (1988) (Love it!)
- Say Anything (1989) (*sigh* Lloyd Dobler)
- “Jessie’s Girl” (1981) Rick Springfield
- “Don’t Stop Believing” (1981) Journey
- “Thriller” (1983) Michael Jackson
- “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” (1983) Cyndi Lauper
- “Faithfully” (1983) Journey
- “Love is a Battlefield” (1983) Pat Benatar (I’m attaching the video because it rocks)
- “Broken Wings (1985) Mr. Mister
- “Crazy for You” (1985) Madonna
- “If You Leave” (1986) Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark (OMD)
- “I Wanna Dance with Somebody” (1987) Whitney Houston
So, there you have it! I would like to thank my mom for exposing me to these awesome movies and songs. I have most of them in my iTunes library or sitting on my DVD shelf.
What’s one of your favorite songs and films from the 80s?