header image

Safety First

So I got an email today from University Police that read:

“On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at approximately 8:00 p.m. a CSU Stanislaus student was walking eastbound past Naraghi Hall near the loading zone.  She was walking on the sidewalk approaching Andre lane and CSUS Lot#11 when a Hispanic male adult, mid-20’s, 5’7”, average build, wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and blue jeans demanded her backpack. 

The victim stated that the male’s hand was at his waistband implying he had a weapon, but she did not actually see a weapon.  The victim handed the male her backpack.  The male immediately ran southeast toward Monte Vista.  The victim said the male never touched her and she was not injured.

The CSU Stanislaus Police Department (UPD) is actively following up on this robbery investigation and will be providing directed patrols of campus parking lots and the surrounding areas. 

Please remember that the UPD provides Safety Shuttles throughout the campus Monday through Thursday from 6:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.  We would like all community members to be vigilant when walking, running or biking alone.  Always have your cell phone with you and please call 9-1-1 in an emergency.  

If you or anyone you know has information regarding this incident, please call the University Police Department at (209) 667-3911.”

SCARY.

It’s sad that we as students have to feel unsafe on our campus, but the reality is, crime is happening everywhere and we must be made aware so we can take precaution.

The shuttle service provided by UPD is a really wonderful resource for those of us taking night classes to utilize. I don’t have a parking pass (mainly because I can think of a ton of stuff I’d rather spend $164 dollars on), so I usually have to park on Dels by that big, creepy open field. Tonight after class, I asked a friend of mine who parks on campus to drive me to my car. It’s better to be safe than think that it won’t happen to you.

As a runner, I have become sadly aware of how many people are getting attacked when running alone, so I always try to run with a partner and if I can’t, then I run on a very busy street and carry my cell phone. The same safety measures must be taken as students walking home or to our cars.

Carrying a cell phone, pepper spray, and/or the whistles that UPD gives out are really good ideas, too.

You may think these whistle’s don’t work, but a friend of mine tested hers and says they are very loud and annoying.

Take care everyone and remember to report any suspicious events to UPD if you come in contact with them. We need to come together in times such as this and create an even stronger campus community, one that will not tolerate this senseless crime.

~ by Alexia on February 28, 2013 .

3 Responses to “Safety First”

1.   John Cunha Says:

What a shame that this would happen on our campus, we are usually close to crime free and when things like this happen it has a great effect on everyone not to mention the victim. Can’t understand why the thief would want to take someone’s backpack

2.   ShellyB Says:

We are having an Active Shooter drill today. It is supposed to assist us with preparing in the event of a real-life shooting situation. Sadly, with all that is going on recently, the potentional for this to happen is a reality. Stay safe and aware

3.   Kara Says:

Be vigilant, yes. But always remember that when people do horrible things, the fault is on the people who do horrible things. No one is “asking for it.”