header image

Miss Representation

The other night, I was watching some television show on my DVR and 3/4 of the way through it, my tv messed up and restarted the program. I clicked the fast forward button to the quickest setting and sat there watching the show replay the parts I had already seen at lightening speed.

Watching this made me think about how much media garbage our brains are inundated with on a daily basis. We consume so many wrong messages until our brains finally shut off and stop noticing them anymore. All the while, we have bought into some of the crazy notions that we are not good enough.

It’s to the point where now, we just ignore that problems exist and believe we cannot even begin to change them.

But we can.

It starts with discussion and awareness, which is why I am writing this post.

With today being International Women’s Day, I want to take some time and tell you about an event coming up on campus!

Tuesday, March 12th from 7pm-9pm, the CSU Stanislaus Writing Center will be screening the wonderfully honest documentary Miss Representation. 

I’ve studied gender theory for the last 3 years and I have yet to come across a film that accurately and interestingly expresses the facts like this one. It explains everything in a relatable manner and really makes whoever watches it think about how much the media plays a role in our day-to-day lives.

Guys, think it’s a movie just for women? Think again. It’s a movie for everyone to watch so we can begin questioning how to make changes that benefit us all.

I hope everyone can make it out to watch this important documentary that will make you think long after it’s over.

~ by Alexia on March 8, 2013 .

One Response to “Miss Representation”

1.   anthonymsilva Says:

I love the circumstances that lead you to write this. Also, I’d love to watch that documentary! If I can’t make it to the screening, I think I’ll go look for it so I can check it out.