header image

Top 5 Favorite Blogs

As a blogger, I thought it would be fun for me to share my top five blogs with everyone.

I have found these blogs to be the most helpful for recipes, fitness advice, humor, and news.

1. Skinnytaste 

This blog is so helpful when I want to make quick, tasty dinners that are still relatively healthy. I think I went an entire week eating recipes from this blog. Gina, the blogger, shares delicious recipes and proves that healthy doesn’t have to taste like a cardboard box. Here are a few of my favorite recipes from her blog:

Baked Chicken Parmesan

Healthy Baked Chicken Nuggets (yum! I love chicken nuggets, but I’ve been afraid to eat them from any fast food place since that scary picture of processed               chicken started floating around the internet.

Crock Pot Bolognese Sauce (oh my goodness, so delicious. This one is a bit more difficult to make, but it will make you feel like a chef once it’s done! I have never been more impressed with my culinary skills than I did after making this).

Slow Cooker Chicken Black Bean Tacos (delicious! So so so good!)

2. Fitness4Life

Lunden Souza is a nutrition and fitness trainer and blogger. Her tips are practical to even the most busiest of college students, which is always nice. I like the workouts she shares on her blog because they can be done anywhere, even if you don’t have a gym to do them in. Another great thing about this blogger is, like I mentioned before, she’s a trainer who actually practices what she preaches. She doesn’t promote the crazy notion that people should diet and they will magically lose weight; instead, she constantly stresses how much work goes into living a healthy lifestyle. I respect that, which is why her blog is my second pick.

3. Catalog Living

So, if you haven’t seen this hilarious blog, I suggest falling down a rabbit hole and reading all of the posts. Catalog Living is a wildly funny blog from Molly Erdman, an LA based actor, writer, and comedian, dedicated to a fictional people living in a catalog.

As you may have noticed, catalog displays for retail stores are an art form. They make you want to live inside of the photograph, which is (probably) one of the biggest reasons people convince themselves they need a chandelier made of fangs. Okay, that sounds a bit creepy, but I’m pretty sure if it were in a magazine, I may be drawn to it.

If you really look closely at some of the catalog layouts, however, they are ridiculous. They actually begin to resemble those “What’s Wrong With this Photo” game from the classic magazine Highlights.

4. TGAW

TGAW stands for Those Girls Are Wild, a wonderfully honest blog from Shannon T. Boodram (author of the novel Laid, brilliant photographer, and activist) and Andrea Lewis (actress who is most famous for her time as Hazel on Degrassi).

The blog is honest and discusses hardships faced by black women, but it also finds a way to celebrate the successes of all women. Instead of being exclusive in the struggle, they try to be inclusive, representing a new pathway for women.

In addition, the two women answer questions about networking for those looking to get their artistic work recognized as well as share insight about the problems that can arise when in the spotlight.

I have been following Shannon T. Boodram on twitter for about a year now and just recently stumbled across this blog. I’m happy I did.

5. HelloGiggles

I love this site. I’m not sure if it would be called a blog or not, but it belongs on this list nonetheless. HelloGiggles was co-founded by Zooey Deschanel, Molly McAleer, and Sophia Rossi. I find the collaborative nature of the site interesting, as outside bloggers can also add posts.

The voices are funny and authentic, but still cover many deep issues facing people in today’s world. My favorite post by far is one done by Michelle Konstantinovsky about the model Kate Upton and the frightening culture of fat shaming, thinspiration, and pro-ana websites.

All of the above-mentioned blogs are special to me in some way. They are great for keeping up with fitness, culture, activism, and humor.

What’s on your list?

~ by Alexia on March 31, 2013 .

One Response to “Top 5 Favorite Blogs”

1.   anthonymsilva Says:

HelloGiggles! I love Zooey Deschanel. I haven’t checked the site out recently, so I’ll have to go check up on that, and some of these other blogs too.