header image

April

So, this month was extremely busy, hence my waiting until the last hour on April 30th to write about it.

I am so happy I made it through because to be completely honest, I was unsure about it all when I looked at my planner to see how much was happening.

The month started with Spring Break, which is always nice. I was able to sleep a bit and start a book for fun. I’m still not all the way through it, but I am impressed that I actually wanted to open a book at all during a semester. That’s progress.

During that week, I went to Sacramento to watch some of my running teammates participate in AR-50, a 50 mile ultra marathon that begins in Sacramento and ends in Auburn. It was such an incredible experience! The amount of strength and dedication they had to train for that beast is incredible.

Before going to the race, I had thought running 50 miles was crazy. I actually still do, but I now know that it is inside the realm of possibility and it’s something that I’d like to accomplish in my life.

Here are some photos from the fun day:

My buddy for the day! She is seriously the coolest teen I have ever met.

My wonderful friend Becky and I. We will totally run this race together some day!

Hanging with the girls while they wait for their awesome mom to come through one of the aid stations!

It was seriously such an inspiring day. I am glad it happened at the beginning of April because it set the tone of “I can get through anything” for the rest of the month.

The next weekend, I went to my first conference and presented research from one of my graduate courses. The conference was for the Northern California Writing Center Association. A few of us writing tutors and our director went up for the day to present and hear new ideas that are emerging in our field.

It was so much fun! I had a lot of nerves going into the day, but the moment the keynote address started, they went away.

Dawson, Ravyn, and I during the keynote address. Great way to start the day!

I’m so proud of our school! My fellow tutors represented CSU Stanislaus wonderfully!

At the end of a great day!

Oh, one more thing…

I won a raffle prize!! I never win anything! I chose the popcorn bucket that had two movies and a bunch of candy. Surprised?

The day after the conference, I ran my first half marathon. My aunt was recently diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer, so the run was in honor of her strength and commitment to the fight. It was definitely a challenging 13.1 miles! There was wind, hills, and a swarm of bees at the turn around point, but it was all worth it in the end!

Becky and I coming finishing the last stretch!

I had a small break following the conference and half marathon, so I just worked on my midterm. When that weekend hit, I was exhausted and ready to see my family in Merced, so I took a little holiday from reality.

The break was short-lived, however, and before I knew it, I was back to the grind.

Monday, the 22nd was my event In My Shoes. It went really well and we had a wonderful turnout. It’s been an absolute pleasure to work so hard on this project for the past three years. I’ll miss it, but I know it’s in good hands with the student who is taking over.

After that event, I spent the rest of the week prepping for another conference. This conference took place in Northridge this past weekend, so my research partner and I drove down a day before so we could see our families who live in the area.

The conference went really well and I felt extremely confident during our presentation. We just got back on Sunday and immediately started working on a 40 page paper that we turned in tonight. I am still in awe that we got it done because we literally started it two days ago.

And that brings me to tonight. I am still kind of shocked that I fit all of this stuff into a month and didn’t lose my mind! 30 more days until graduation, let the countdown begin!

~ by Alexia on May 1, 2013 .

One Response to “April”

1.   michaelelkins Says:

“I was able to sleep a bit and start a book for fun.”

I’ve totally given up on books for fun. I hope I get that back some day, but it will likely be a year or so before I recover from all the mandatory reading. Glad you were able to sleep and rest. What a great month for you. Nice job.

Cheers,
    Michael