header image

The end’s not near, it’s here

So as the title reads, this is my last post as a student blogger.

It’s been really wonderful being able to share my life with everyone at Stanislaus and even some people aren’t on campus (okay, really it’s just one person, I love you mom!)

My friend text me today to tell me that we all passed our comprehensive exams for TESOL, the last X on my long list of things to finish before I can walk the stage next week. The news was exciting and relieving (my brain was fried when I took those exams, so I wasn’t sure what to expect). I also feel a little sad, though. I’ll miss being a student at Stan State. I’ll miss practically living in the library, drinking coffee at night, and talking with peers who became great friends about how bright our futures will be.

Ordinarily, I am amazed by how quickly a semester goes by and I end up feeling like I didn’t get to take everything in. This semester, however, has been different. As I emerge from the fog of research papers and conferences, I carry with me memories that will last a lifetime with people I truly love.

I also carry forth the growth I’ve experienced. This semester has been unlike any other one I’ve ┬áhad. I’ve learned so many things about myself and the person I want to become, the person I’ve already become.

Last semester, I kept saying there was no way I’d ever go on for a terminal degree. I had no interest in spending any more time in school, I told myself. I was ready to experience life outside of academia. This semester, however, I learned that I can experience life and still be in school, which prompted my decision to eventually return.

I am definitely taking the year off because I need it; I want to read some books and write more of the stuff I like to write before falling back down the rabbit hole. I’ve got 24 books that I stacked on my shelf and a writing schedule that mirrors my marathon training schedule, so that should keep me occupied.

I’m also taking my CBEST soon and plan to substitute k-12 for the year so I can work on my graduate school applications. I may try to teach one class at a CC as well.

I just want to use this year to situate myself for whatever is going to come next, whether it be an MFA in Creative Writing or a PhD, who knows yet?

What I do know is, I’ve enjoyed being a student at Stan State and I wouldn’t be the person I am today without my instructors or classmates. I’m excited for the next chapter.

Thanks for reading :)

~ by Alexia on May 24, 2013 .

One Response to “The end’s not near, it’s here”

1.   Shelly Says:

I am so proud of you!

Mom

(ps-I love you too:0)