Busy, busy, busy

So, as a graduate student you are bound to give more presentations than an undergrad, at least if you’re an English major.

In English, whether you concentrate in Literature, Rhetoric and Teaching Writing, or TESOL, presentations are a major part of the curriculum.

I happen to be concentrating in TESOL, so the presentations are neverending. The whole point of the concentration is to study how to teach English as a second language. Presentations are a must.

This semester, as I mentioned in my first post, I am doing an independent study for Gender 2500. I am very interested in gender/ethnic studies and would like to possibly incorporate it into my teaching in the future, so the opportunity to TA for the class has been great.

To get graduate credit for this course I have to do a lot of different/extra type of work,  one of the requirements being that I teach one class meeting during the semester.

I decided to bite the bullet and go early rather than putting it off until the end of the semester when I have papers, presentations in my other class, and my event for Stop the Hate Week looming. Plus, the subject matter (Body Image) is far too interesting for me not to comment on.

I am nervous, though, I cannot lie. Getting up in front of a class of 50 students is a bit intimidating.

Will they look at me like I’m a dork? Will they get something out of my lecture? Will I stumble over my words and turn red? Those are just a few of the questions racing through my brain.

But then I think of how moved they were by my discussion with them last week and I tell myself how much I need to learn to trust in my abilities and it seems to help.

I spoke with my instructor today about the upcoming day and felt really reassured that I can in fact do this. I know I can, the anticipation is always worse than the actual event.

Plus, I have to remember that I will be nervous, it’s just a facet of life, and trying not to be nervous will only be counterproductive. I think it’s good if the students know that I’m nervous because they will know how much I want to add to their understanding of the material.

I just need to remember to breathe and everything will work out the way it’s supposed to.

But the busyness doesn’t stop there. On top of preparing for my presentation, I have copy editing for the Signal to get done tonight, regular reading for this week’s classes, and my car is acting funny.

I’m just going to try to do more yoga this week and remember that after next Tuesday, the semester will start getting easier.

The sun is coming out, so that definitely helps my spirit, I just hope it starts getting warmer soon so I can study outside!

3 thoughts on “Busy, busy, busy

1. Even as a comm. major I STILL get nervous talking in front of people, especially with a class of 50+. One thing I’ve learned though even if you mess up – the show must go on, and the more you dwell on it during the presentation the more uncomfortable you’ll feel. So take a deep breath and let it go! Besides I’m only giving you this advice IF you mess up, YOU’RE GOING TO DO FINE :]

2. Yeah talking in front of a lot of people can seriously be nerve racking, but if you practice though it gets better. The only thing about being nervous, for me a least is talking a little too fast. Sometimes you just want to be over with it a little too much and it ends up as just on big long word. And I agree it is so nice out here but the wind is so bad!

3. Thank you both for the encouragement and tips, I will make sure to practice and also know that if I mess up, who cares? I’ll keep you posted on how it goes!