Music

So I’ve been listening to a lot of music lately.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a pretty big fan of music (and I have pretty eclectic tastes), but I don’t usually listen to an entire album all at once. I get the single and usually forget about the rest (unless it is Bright Eyes or Coldplay). I listen to music mainly when I am driving from my house to work, which takes 2 minutes, or when I’m working out. When I exercise, though, I tend to listen to stupid rap songs or other fast paced songs to get me in the right mindset.

When I used to commute from Turlock to Merced I would spend around 50 minutes a day in the car, so I had more time to dedicate to music and keeping up with new releases. Once the commuting stopped, so did my time to listen. That is,  until I started my new job in Enrollment Services.

I am able to listen to my iPod at work now since I am not working at a front desk anymore. It really helps get me in a groove of  finishing my daily tasks.

I’m sure you guys have heard of Spotify, but if you haven’t, it’s this great music library that you can download to your computer and listen to any song for free. It’s not like Pandora where they create stations that are similar to the artist you typed in; Spotify allows you to listen to entire albums by the same artist.

I downloaded the Spotify app to my iPhone and forgot to delete it before the trial turned into a charge, so I decided to use it this month since I paid for it.

Spotify premium only costs $9.99 a month, which is pretty cheap if you’re like me and buy a new song every time Glee and Smash kill it in a new episode. At $1.29 a piece, that can really add up.

Again, you can listen to any album you want. The other day at work, I kicked it old school and listened to Genie in a Bottle by Christina Aguilera. The great thing about Spotify premium is that it accesses your iTunes playlists, so I have my playlists uploaded to my phone without ever having to sync it to my computer.

Technology seriously blows my mind.

Anyways, where was I before I went off about Spotify? Ah, that’s right. I was making a point, I promise.

Last week at work, I decided to listen to Drake’s 2011 Take Care album. After spending the weekend in Santa Cruz with my cousin and listening to some of the songs on his iTouch, I wanted to see what all the hype was about.

I listened to the entire album at work without skipping a song. It is incredible.

This week at work, I went to listen to my standard indie rock songs in my iPod, but found myself wanting to listen to Take Care, so I switched back to it.

It’s been a week and I’m still listening to that album. My friend says I’m going through an inevitable Drake phase.

I’m going to try and listen to Florence+the Machine’s “Ceremonials” this week. I bought the album in December of last year, but have only listened to a few songs.

I’m starting to understand why albums need to be listened to as a collective piece-they tell a story.

What is currently on repeat in your iPod?

5 thoughts on “Music

1. Needs more Ra Ra Riot and Two Door Cinema Club. I just personally hate that you have to use your Facebook login to access Spotify, I still prefer Pandora myself actually.

2. I totally agree with you. Some albums have trippy instrumental tracks to add to the theatric element, which is pretty cool. I got “Prepare the Masses” by A Change of Pace over break, I still listen to it all the time. Really really good pop punk album

3. Marilu, it is so well put together. It reminds me of my childhood friends, it’s nice.

Frank-yea, the Facebook log in is annoying, but I like that you can get whole albums because sometimes Pandora is off. Last night though, my friend was playing the starting line station on pandora, it was amazing!

Nick-I’ve heard of A Change of Pace, I will have to check them out! Perhaps this week during work!

4. Never heard of Spotify, I’ll definitely have to try it!
    By the way I LOVE Take Care, probably my favorite song right now