The Hunger Games

So this past weekend, I was fortunate enough to see The Hunger Games  at the midnight premiere in Turlock.

I read the first book of the series in 2 days (I’m on the second right now, but due to reading for other classes, getting through this one is not going as quickly as I would like).

I was intrigued by the relevant social commentary of the novel as well as it’s violent nature. These books appeared to be “tween” novels when I first saw them, but after the first chapter I realized I was wrong.

The book is very dreary and disturbing, making the reader feel on edge and uncomfortable the entire time, as we know that only one person can win The Hunger Games.

After I read the book, I immediately went on YouTube to watch all of the trailers for the upcoming film to see if the characters were how I imagined them from the book. I began to count down the days until the premiere.

I do not typically go to movie premieres, especially not ones that are trilogy adaptations, except one series that shall not be named. I’ll give you a hint, it centers on a chaste boy who sparkles. That’s the only hint you get. I may or may not be a huge fan of said franchise.

But other than the books that shall not be named, I don’t go to movie premieres. I never even went to see a single Harry Potter movie at midnight even though I love the books and movies.

It was very exciting, despite the fact that I was exhausted. I was also surprised at how easily we got into the theater. We showed up at 10 and were immediately let into the theater, which was awesome because it was freezing outside.

I’m not going to go too in depth about the movie because I know not everyone who reads this will have seen the movie yet and I’m not the type to ruin things.

I will say that I thought it was an excellent adaptation, one of the best ones I’ve seen in a while. It’s definitely up there with The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and Water for Elephants as far as accuracy and loyalty to the novel goes.

All of the changes/omissions in the film version of The Hunger Games were necessary in my opinion. The book is around 390 pages, so obviously they couldn’t keep everything. Maybe it is just me, but I have learned to suspend my loyalty to the novel when I go in to see an adaptation because I know they will not keep every single detail intact. If you understand this going into the film, I think you’ll really enjoy it.¬† The changes didn’t take away from the integrity of the film nor did they alienate the viewers who have not read the books.

Plus, the acting is superb.

My only recommendation is to sit closer to the back because the camera work is extremely shaky during the fight scenes, which made me feel dizzy at times.

I can’t wait to go watch the movie again, this time during the day when I’m not ready to fall asleep.

I recommend this movie for everyone!

6 thoughts on “The Hunger Games

• Yes. I read the first two in about a day, and then had to waaaaaait for Mockingjay to come out. But I’ve reread the entire series several times since then!

1. Ahhh! I havent read any of the books yet, but I will definitely be going to see the movie this weekend! Great post Alexia!

2. Sara, you’ll love it! Then, you should do what I did with *cough* Twilight *cough* and read the book after you see the movie. I read the entire Twilight series after seeing the first movie. I’m sure you’re going to love the books!