Stay Healthy This Summer

So I know it’s really easy to catch up on sleep this summer, stay out late partying, and forget to stay active and healthy, but you must remember how important being physically and mentally healthy is!

It’s easy to sit outside by the pool (and forget sunblock!), drink sugary drinks like soda, and forget meals because you’re too busy relaxing. As the famous Baz Luhrmann “Everybody’s Free to Wear Sunscreen” song goes “Ladies and Gentlemen of the class of ’99, wear sunscreen. If I could offer you one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it.” So, first things first, please put on sunscreen!

Next, sugar and heat are not your friend, so try drinking water. If you’re like me and get totally bored of water, here are some fun ideas for making it taste better and still staying hydrated:

http://www.fruitinfusedwater.com/#!fruit_infused_water_recipes/c66t

http://nancycreative.com/2010/06/25/feast-your-eyes-on-flavored-water/

You can just pick up fruit from the store, although your best bet is going to a fruit stand because they are cheaper and their selection tastes so much better in my opinion.

Also, remember to eat because it’s very important. Surprisingly enough, I have a hard time feeling motivated to get up and make meals on my days off from work. On the days I work, I am used to eating breakfast, then having a snack, then lunch, snack, and dinner, but when I don’t work, I wake up at 11, have breakfast, and then eat lunch around 3:30 and dinner around 7. Just try and make sure you are feeding your body because it needs energy, even to relax.

Exercise is definitely important this summer, too. Last week, a friend and I went to a local park right by campus and did a very tough workout using jump ropes and our own body weight. You can use picnic table to do lunges off of, the open area to run and do push ups, and the playground to do pull-ups.

Working out doesn’t have to be expensive at all. You can check out YouTube for some exercise ideas, which is what I often do.

Pinterest is another place to get ideas on healthy meals, drinks, workouts, and events! I spend way more time on that website than I should and I love it.

Bottom line: summer is fun and should be spent relaxing, but part of that relaxing is recharging, so make sure that you feed your body what it needs: sleep, water, SUNSCREEN, food, and exercise!

2 thoughts on “Stay Healthy This Summer